View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Sherwood Pond, Sumpter, MI Fishing Report 8/19 
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: SE Rivers
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Ohio and Michigan coasts of Lake Erie, Maumee River in Ohio, Turtle Creek in Ohio, Raisin River in Michigan
This is probably going to be the most vague of a fishing report you'll ever read that I typed. I say that only because even I'm vague on it. This Sunday morning I met up with a buddy of mine, Jeff, to check out a pond he had told me about a couple days prior. So I followed him turn after turn after curve and after curve before we came to this pond called Sherwood Pond, in the Sumpter/Rawsonville area. We ended up pulling in there around 7:30-7:45AM or so.
For those that have been to the campground I'm referring to then you know the type of pond it is, but it reminded me a lot of the pond at Pirolli Park in Petersburg, MI. The size I'd say is an easy 3-4 acres, and where I was casting was probably tops at 2.5 feet, about 20 yards or so from shore.
One pole I used crawlers under a bobber and the few times I had a space between bites I used my medium action pole and tried a few different lures. Needless to say, I didn't have a lot of free time between bites. I had a steady amount of bites with the crawlers under the bobber, mostly small bluegills. I only know this because I caught four small bluegills, all roughly 4" long or so. I didn't have any hits on any of the lures I tried. The lures in question were a yellow rooster tail, a twister, and a small minnow since I did spot a couple minnows swimming near the shoreline but like I said no hits on any.
Where I was fishing there wasn't much as far as grass sticking out of the water, like where Jeff stationed himself. He tried a couple different lures as well, including a white topwater lure. I think he did mention feeling a hit on a purple soft plastic worm he was using and did tell me they do well there from what he had heard (he had only fished there a couple times previously). He did catch a small bluegill that he rigged up drop shot style to find a taker, which didn't happen.
Jeff ended up calling it a day about 10:30AM after me and him shot the bull with a guy that had been fishing there for years. He was telling us that he had fished there since he was a kid and talked about how big the largemouths used to be in the pond-in the five pound or so range. They are still in there from what he said, and from the guy that showed Jeff the pond had told him saying the same thing. According to the guy that we were talking to, who's name I didn't get, there are also small pike in there. Him telling me small pike made me think of something, though I didn't ask, but I wonder if he meant small pike as in 10" or small pike as in 25". Everybody has a different definition of small when it comes to pike LOL
I ended up calling it a day about 11:15AM once I had run out of nightcrawlers. I did have waxworms left but I wanted to make sure to leave at a decent time to allow myself time to figure out where exactly where I was and how I could get back home either the same way I came or via one of the major highways, which luckily for me I found I-275.
Like I was saying earlier, I really don't much about the area other then I was fishing in Wayne County, MI. I didn't know that until it was bull shooting time with the fella me and Jeff were talking to. I still don't know a lot of the place other then the pond does have a decent amount of bluegills near the shoreline. I don't know much as far as depth goes and I other then the bluegill and a couple people there telling me there's pike and bass, I don't know much else is in there. I would imagine that there's bottom feeders in there. A body of water isn't a body of water, at least a body of water that holds fish, without bottom feeders like catfish, or bullhead, or carp. I did see some shoreline jumps but I'm guessing those to be bass. If anybody knows the pond I fished I would greatly appreciate any information, and any information on other inland lakes/ponds in that area would also be appreciated (I just don't want to come off sounding like I wanna steal fishing holes).

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:39 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]