View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 3 lines (they want our opinion) 
Outdoor Addict!

well i was looking on the dnr website and found out that they r thinking about letting use use 3 line, check it out

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_10402-190879--,00.html

A man's got to believe in something...
I believe I'll go fish'n

Thu May 08, 2008 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner/Admin

Referred by: I own this website!
What Rivers do you fish?: All Michigan Rivers.
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Lake St. Clair - Stoney Creek - Lake Huron
Hunting Area: Gwinn, Michigan, St. Clair County, MI
I'm fine with it for walleye and muskie trolling and I hope they have 3 lines for ice fishing too so I can set a tip-up and still fish 2 lines in the shanty!

Gonna send my comments now thanks for posting this!

Thu May 08, 2008 7:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outdoor Addict!

I am pretty sure this only has to do with the great lakes excluding lake st. clair and the rivers. It's a way to get more sallmon out of the lakes.

Youtube Videos
http://www.youtube.com/stelmon21

Thu May 08, 2008 9:43 pm
Site Owner/Admin

Read the link Stel you are WRONG!

Thu May 08, 2008 10:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outdoor Addict!

Probably gonna be the only one here that thinks this way but oh well...but I say no to 3 lines. Seriously how many lines/rods does one angler NEED in the water at one time?? They say it will "add to the enjoyment of fishing without hurting fish populations"...I say BS. What ever happened to getting enjoyment out of learning about fish and using that knowledge to find them, then having the enjoyment of your work coming to fruit by catching that fish because of what skills you put to use.

And not hurting the fishery? come on, you know guys will be getting their limits faster and then just catching fish and tossing them back because their not gonna stop fishing. So all their doing then is sore-mouthing fish at an even faster rate with 3 rods than they are with 2 rods. What ever happend to patience in fishing? is it really necessary to use as many rods as you can just to up your catch rate? Personaly the way I see it if your gonna make it legal to fish 3 rods per guy then you might as well make it legal to use full auto's for hunters. Because after all, a full auto would give you a better chance at a "catch" and would add to your enjoyment right? :roll:

Just another stupid move in a long list of many by the MDNR if you ask me.

Thu May 08, 2008 10:42 pm

I hear your points Steeldrifter, but I don't agree with some of them. They already allow 3 rods per person in the lakes when 'targeting trout/salmon'. Well, I can be using the exact same techniques in the bay as some do in the lake, only they're 'targeting trout/salmon' because of where they are and are therefore allowed 3 lines. Doesn't matter if you're catching fish other than trout/salmon; as long as you're 'targeting' them, you can keep what you catch within limits. (I've actually heard guys at the ramp laughing about this - the 2 line/3 line is a big joke to them.) There are days (like this past sunday) where an extra 2 lines might've made it so I didn't come home with an empty cooler. And I don't keep fishing after I get my limit - hit 5 eyes/guy and the lines come in.

Here's the letter I sent the DNR:

Quote:
I just wanted to e-mail you and let you know that I support the proposal to allow 3 lines/person for fishing.

I believe that with the decreasing number of anglers, the fishery would not be hurt significantly by having an extra line out. Also, I find it very frustrating to troll in the Saginaw Bay for walleye and know that if I were in a different area, I could "target trout/salmon" using the same methods I do in the bay and use 3 lines instead of the 2 that I am allowed. (I hear people talking about doing this; the 2-line/3-line thing is a joke to them.) On challenging days, using 3 lines instead of 2 could mean the difference between coming home with 1-2 fish and coming home empty-handed.

I do not believe that most people, especially those fishing from shore, are going to be using 3 lines each unless fishing perch or something. Before I bought my boat, I did a lot of shore/pier fishing. Most of the places I fished for anything other than perch, people were casting with one rod and didn't have any other rods out. People fishing from a boat will need to know what they are doing to use 3 lines/person without getting massive tangles.

Lastly, over the past few years the cormorant population has exploded, the perch are nearly gone, and the salmon and smelt *are* gone from Lake Huron. I don't think it'd be a bad thing to allow humans to try to take a larger percentage of the fish than they are now, as these flying black rats that we can't shoot will most likely eat what we don't take. (The cormorants have done much more to damage the fish populations all over the lakes than humans would do by using an extra line. They should be controlled *everywhere*, not just a couple select sites.)

Thank you for your time and for allowing public input on this issue.

With all the mis-management and blunders the DNR has done over the past several years and results thereof, I view this as a way to keep guys buying licenses. (And we all know that money, specifically from licenses, is what the DNR is interested in and primarily focused on.)

Proof: Nobody is perfect. I am nobody. Therefore I am perfect.

----------------------------

If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such.
-Homer Simpson

Daily FirePit Chat at 9pm Click here:
Firepit Chat 9PM

Fri May 09, 2008 12:33 am
Outdoor Addict!

Another link I read said it was for the great lakes only, but apparently, that person didn't do his research.

I have to agree with steel drifter on this. I don't think 3 lines is needed.

The only place I could see this being used is when you are fishing for bait, but still want to have two poles in the water. It's a pain in the butt to reel in your second rod, and start casting for bait.

Youtube Videos
http://www.youtube.com/stelmon21

Fri May 09, 2008 12:43 am
Site Owner/Admin

After reading some of the replies here I kinda am agreeing with Steeldrifter too (Sorry Jim) to some extent. Nothing made me more aggrivated than when they switched to 3 lines for Salmon in the great lakes and when just me and my buddy were on the boat he insisted on running 6 lines and that was a little crazy for me. Not to mention when we had 4 people on the boat they would run 12 lines and tangle alot!

At least on our website here we can debate and agree to disagree and still be friends and no-one gets BANNED 8)

Here's what I sent to the DNR...

Quote:
I have fished in Michigan for all species since I was 4 years old and I am now 35...I think 3 lines per angler is overkill. The only time I thing it would be ok is ice fishing and that being 2 lines in hand and a Tip-up outside your shanty. Sure it's nice to run more lines if you are trolling for Salmon, Steelhead, Walleye and Muskie but not a necessity. I think 3 lines other than the Ice Fishing Scenario I mention above will only promote people to catch their limit faster and increase fish mortality because they will keep fishing and throw them back or keep fishing and be tempted to break the law and keep more than the limit! Could this possibly have anything to do with the diminished Salmon population in Lake Huron since it's been allowed there for Salmon the past few years???

I mean I have fishing Buddies that use 2 rods while Perch Fishing in Lake Saint Clair...I always only use one. To me trying to handle 2 rods is too hard and 3 is just ridiculous!

Fri May 09, 2008 3:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outdoor Addict!

i like the idea of having 3 lines for certian types of fishing like ice fishing and trolling. i don't see how anyone can handle 3 when they r going after crappie and the bite is on, those holders u see hose guys have that will hold 5 rods crack me up, i am willing to bet that there is alot of line tangles when there is a fish on one of those lines.

so i can agree with all the comments and opinions on this topic so far, its just nice to see the dnr is asking us "michiganoutdoorsman" :wink: what we think lately

shaun

A man's got to believe in something...
I believe I'll go fish'n

Fri May 09, 2008 7:53 pm
Profile WWW

Nothing to be sorry about Don. Your opinion differs from mine - so what? :) (Hey, if you like being wrong, so be it... ;) :D :lol: )

One consideration is that you don't *have* to use 3 lines. When the perch are biting, I will sometimes use one rod instead of two. Having the option to go to 2 is nice for the majority of the time. Being able to use 3 on those days that you go 10 minutes between bites with 2 would be very nice. Likewise on a boat trolling - if you know what you're doing, you can run an awful lot of lines without tangling. If you don't know what you're doing, don't use 3/person or accept the fact that you're going to spend half your time untangling lines.

Proof: Nobody is perfect. I am nobody. Therefore I am perfect.

If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such.
-Homer Simpson

Daily FirePit Chat at 9pm Click here:
Firepit Chat 9PM

Fri May 09, 2008 8:16 pm
Site Owner/Admin

I see your point Jim...but you're still wrong and I'm right :P :P :P :P :lol: :D :roll:

Fri May 09, 2008 8:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outdoor Addict!

Quote:
Being able to use 3 on those days that you go 10 minutes between bites with 2 would be very nice.

Quote:
What ever happend to patience in fishing?

:laughing3:

:lol: :P

Fri May 09, 2008 9:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]