View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 help fishing zoom horny toads 
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: nw mostly. the mo, white, pm once in a while the grand
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: most lakes in livingston county
Hunting Area: livingston county
i have tried the last few nights to fish the zoom horny toad type rubber toads. i have had limited success in hooking any fish at all. i am getting a ton of hits on them, but they are just not sticking for some reason. i love to fish these baits, but am getting frustrated by my lack of hooking them.

i am using the zoom horny toad hooks (that of course you have to purchase seperate from the package of horny toads). these are a 5/0 hook with a screw at the top to screw into the head of the toad, then just run the EWG hook through the body of the toad and fish.

i dont know if i am just not putting the hook in right or what. to me it looks like the hook point is actually going down into the back of the toad after i run it through the body, but i cant get it in there any other way. if i get it so the hook point is up it really snags on the weeds and whatever else it runs into.

i lost 3 nice bass sunday night because of this, and a pike also.

does anybody here fish these baits? if so can you offer some insight into how to better set up the hook on the bait?

i toss these into the scum just like a scum frog, and pull it over the weed bed. when i get to the end of the bed i let it sink, and this is usually when i am getting the hits. if the fish misses i will let it fall still and hope for a second strike. usually i set the hook so hard i pull the toad back to me to far for a second hit though.
any help is appreciated.

thanks

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:35 pm
Site Owner/Admin

Referred by: I own this website!
What Rivers do you fish?: All Michigan Rivers.
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Lake St. Clair - Stoney Creek - Lake Huron
Hunting Area: Gwinn, Michigan, St. Clair County, MI
The "Zoom Horney Toad"...LOL never heard of it so I looked it up...

Only advice I can give you is when I fished Scum Frogs for Bass I let the bass take it for a few seconds after the hit.

Maybe a trailer hook?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outdoor Addict!

You just need a hard hookset to drive the hook through the frog and into the fish. Rig it like a texas-rigged worm.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:41 pm
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: nw mostly. the mo, white, pm once in a while the grand
i do rig it like a texas worm, just for some reason the hook point seems to go back into the body after i insert it through the body. it kind of bends back around like a circle hook, is the only way i can figure out how to describe it.

don, i have been playing the the toads for a few years now, and i love them. i actually fish them more than i do scum frogs anymore. they are as weedless, if not more so, than a scum frog and i feel i get more strikes on them.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:14 pm
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: The Mighty Mo, and a few other small steelhead factories
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Rivers only
Hunting Area: Newaygo Michigan
i know im a bit late on this post but what the hell, whaat are you throwing them on, you can have the hardest hookset in the world but if the rod is too soft you wont be able to drive that big hook home, i personaly use a heavy flipping stick with 65#power pro and when a fish blows up on my toad i wait till i feel them and then i lay the wood to him :twisted:

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:24 pm
Fishing Professional

What Rivers do you fish?: PM, Big Man, Muskegon, Au Sable...
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: All of em'
Hunting Area: I wish...
bigdogx71 wrote:
i know im a bit late on this post but what the hell, whaat are you throwing them on, you can have the hardest hookset in the world but if the rod is too soft you wont be able to drive that big hook home, i personaly use a heavy flipping stick with 65#power pro and when a fish blows up on my toad i wait till i feel them and then i lay the wood to him :twisted:

Am I the only one who thought that sounded really naughty?? :twisted:

Blowing up on your toad...
Laying the wood to em'...

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:21 pm
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: The Mighty Mo, and a few other small steelhead factories
lol :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:38 pm

:lol:

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:38 pm
Outdoor Addict!

caught 2 fish on a horny toad yesterday and 1 on a swamp donkey I LOVE this time of year TOURNEMENT TIME!!!

Wed May 20, 2009 2:20 pm
Outdoor Rookie

Never caught anything on a toad or frog. Guess I am not presenting them right. I catch tons of bass on the Spooks Jr. and Popper eye. I have swimming toads and frogs up the yang cause I thought they were a great idea. How or where is the best place to hook them weedless???
Roc

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:54 am
Outdoor Addict!

texas rig them so the hook point comes out near the rear end of the toad. then bury it in the back of it. hope you can get a visual with that description...

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:26 am
Outdoor Rookie

Do you lightly skin hook them in the back or firmly plant them. I think your talking in the top Back and not the rear right?
Some of my toads Larger ones have a slot in the mid back on top. I always wondered what that is for also. Do you bend your hook out a bit when using the frogs? What size hooks do you guys use and Gals sorry.
Da-Roc

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:55 am
Outdoor Addict!

i firmly plant the hook if fishing in a ton of slop, if i am fishing open water or the edge of beds i will just lightly skin hook it.

the slot on their backs if for the hook point to be put into so you dont have to bury it in the body.

i dont bend the hooks at all when using them, i like to use EWG 5/0 hooks, i found some that are specifically made for toads (made by zoom, they have a screw lok on the front to put into the head of the toad, and an EWG)

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]