View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 What's the wierdest way you have hooked a fish?? 
Outdoor Addict!

What's the wierdest way you have hooked a fish???

Last year I was fishing salmon near the end of the run and looking for my 100th salmon of the year. I finally had a "hit" and reeled in the fish. Turned out I never hooked the fish but the line was wrapped around the fish and the hook was hooked onto the line. I couldn't believe it when I landed it and for my 100th salmon, wierd.

Youtube Videos
http://www.youtube.com/stelmon21

Wed May 11, 2005 10:46 pm
Outdoor Newbie

Early April this year I was drifting a waxworm under a bobber through a slow moving pool that I'd had good luck in when the water was higher back in march.

This day I wasn't having much luck though but finally I had a bobber down and set the hook. I yell and start fighting the fish for a while until it gets close. Then I realize it's coming in backwards. :roll: I still was hoping the line was just wrapped around or something but finally landed it and it was hooked squarely in the tail! :x That was the first time I've foul hooked a fish with a bobber.

Later that day though, drifting through the same spot, I had another bobber down and set the hook. Before long I realized that this one was fouled too so I broke it off. I was super pissed and I didn't land a good fish that day.

Another time at the dam by my cottage late at night a guy showed up and started drifting a bobber. Before long he had a fish on. When he got the bobber up to his rod he still had like 20 feet of line out so he started walking backwards. It turns out he managed to set his hook through the middle of someones line that had a broken off fish on it. I've seen people hook swivels and lures but never someones actual line.

Thu May 12, 2005 4:19 pm
Outdoor Newbie

I thought of a couple more.. The one time I caught a little steelie using a zebco and a perch rig and one time I was reeling in about a 10 inch bass when about a 25 inch bass inhaled the little guy. I could see it clearly but didnt land the fish.

Thu May 12, 2005 4:24 pm
Outdoor Addict!

i hooked a steelhead a few years ago and fought and landed it. turns out it was hooked in the stringer that was strung through its bottom jaw. fat, healthy fish, prolly been swimming around with that thing for a year judging by the sores on the bottom lip and the poor shape the stringer was in. it was nice though, as i planned to take some fish home and forgot the stringer at home. so god provided what i needed.

steve

Thu May 12, 2005 6:07 pm
Profile YIM
Outdoor Rookie

Many many years ago I was casting for pike on an inland lake in the up and I hooked a 15" perch by the bunghole on a very large dare devil.

Fri May 13, 2005 4:44 am
Outdoor Maniac

That fish you hooked with the stringer was that on the Ausable? Was the stringer yellow?

If so that was my fish!!! Long story!! kind of embrassing so I will leave it at that!!! :lol:

Fri May 13, 2005 7:35 am
Fishing for bluegills, I was casting a black, rubber-legged 'popper' with my flyrod around some flooded timber. I laid the line parallel to a deadfall pine angling out fom the water, gave it a couple twitches and a approx. 6# largemouth bass took the lure. When I got it in the boat, I saw that it had inhaled the 'popper', sucked it through its gills, ejected it out the gill cover and it was hooked into the fish's body just ahead of the tail.

Fri May 13, 2005 11:50 am
Outdoor Newbie

Tubejig just reminded me one time I was tossing a hot-n-tot for bass and snagged a bluegill right in the side somehow.

Fri May 13, 2005 2:06 pm
Outdoor Addict!

You just reminded me of when I was fishing with Steelnice for salmon last august on the big M. I hooked a huge king that just took off down river. I notice it wrapped itself around a tree trunk so I ran down there to undo it. When I got down there the fish hauled back up river into the hole I hooked him in. When I looked down, there was my flies, yet I still had the fish on????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I know it was my flies because I tie a certain egg pattern I have never seen tied before.

The fish then shot off furthur up river and then broke off. I have no idea how this happened :?:

Youtube Videos
http://www.youtube.com/stelmon21

Fri May 13, 2005 2:19 pm

I caught a trout on a worm once. I thought they only ate flies. :glasses7:

Fri May 13, 2005 2:35 pm
Outdoor Addict!

hmmmm, stringer was green, so you aren't the only one! lol. this was in the thunder bay river.

steve

Fri May 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Profile YIM
come on steve what about the muskrat you caught ice fishing!!!!

Fri May 13, 2005 4:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]