View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 What brand of reel are you using? 
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: NW Rivers, Platte, Betsie, Boardman, Big Manistee, Bear Creek, Elk, etc.
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Lake MI, Frankfort, Suttons Bay, Grand Traverse Bays(East and West) inland lakes.
I'm on a Daiwa kick as of late, my latest addition is a Daiwa Fuego spinning reel. This past fall I pulled out some older Daiwa reels that I have and fished them, it made me relize how much I missed them. Before that, I was a Shimano guy. Had multiple Stradics, a few Sustains, and 4 Symetrys. The Daiwas feel better to me, but I wiah they had a fester retrieve to them. The new updated Shimano Stradic, and Sustains look good though. So, what are you guys using?

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 pm

I use Okuma line-counting levelwinds for trolling and Shimano Saharas (and one Sedona) for casting. I've had trouble with a couple of my spinning reels, but honestly don't use them much anymore because I now have a boat and enjoy trolling while running planer boards. :)

Proof: Nobody is perfect. I am nobody. Therefore I am perfect.

----------------------------

If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such.
-Homer Simpson

----------------------------

Daily FirePit Chat at 9pm Click here:
Firepit Chat 9PM

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:50 pm
Outdoor Addict!

pfluenger here, i bought one of those president spinning reels last fall for kings and the drag system is awesome. but before that i was a hand me down guy whatever my dad gave me. he fished alot of bass tourny and used alot of shimano's.

A man's got to believe in something...
I believe I'll go fish'n

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: NW Rivers, Platte, Betsie, Boardman, Big Manistee, Bear Creek, Elk, etc.
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Lake MI, Frankfort, Suttons Bay, Grand Traverse Bays(East and West) inland lakes.
UBDSLO1 wrote:
I'm on a Daiwa kick as of late, my latest addition is a Daiwa Fuego spinning reel. This past fall I pulled out some older Daiwa reels that I have and fished them, it made me relize how much I missed them. Before that, I was a Shimano guy. Had multiple Stradics, a few Sustains, and 4 Symetrys. The Daiwas feel better to me, but I wiah they had a fester retrieve to them. The new updated Shimano Stradic, and Sustains look good though. So, what are you guys using?

realize, wish, faster. my spelling is terrible!

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:23 pm
Outdoor Addict!

as long as we can tell what ya mean who cares.....

i have shimanos diawas penns okumas......siltars, polar tech,and probably 5 other brands around here

i like mitchels as far as spinning.......

but i buy off the cheap shelf yet .....ive had more expencive reels ad they never last either im too hard on my equipment......if i can buy two for the price of something else and have a spare i feel better......

for level winds i like the okuma line counters but the old pens i have were used to cast 2lb sinkers and ive never had a problem with em .....im not sure the okumas would hold up to that kind of abuse

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:51 pm
Profile YIM
Outdoor Addict!

I mostly fly fish anymore but do break out a spin set up for drift fishing steelies every once in awhile as well as sometime for smallies. Right now the two main spin reels I use are a Shimano Sedona and a Phlugar gold metalist.

Steve

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:55 pm
Outdoor Addict!

right now my spinning reel is a okuma TI-25 i have had really good luck with it nice smoth reliable

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:35 am
Profile YIM
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: NW rivers. Guess you say that I live on one of them from spring to fall. Fish two or three other NW rivers.
Tri-City Area...Tittabawasee River, Saginaw River
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Saginaw Bay, Wixom Lake, Secord Lake, and a few other smaller lakes
Hunting Area: Looking for a new Bow/Gun hunting spot close to home
Ralph, MI---For gun season--about 10days
I have a Shimano Stradic 2500fh with 8lb mono for steelies and the spare spool has some Pro line for throwing hardware for kings in the fall. The reel, drag, and retreive are still holding up and working like it was new. Except for the fact that I lost the screw cover for the opposite side of the handle...... :roll:

My father in law had a bag of reels that he was throwing away. Told me that what ever I wanted in that bag was mine before it went to the trash. Well I went through the bag and found a "like new" Quantum reel. Spun the handle and it just kept going. Have used it since then for Steelies and bass. Work's great.

:)

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:21 am
Profile YIM
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: St. Clare river, Detroit river
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: where ever the walleye are hitting the best.
ok for trooling walleye I like diawa sealine 27 with line counters.

for vertical jiging I use abu-garcia Cardinal spinning reels with center drag.

for sturgeon I have a penn 320 and a shimano large spinning reel.

pearch and sunfish it dont matter.

:thumbright: :headbang:

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:52 am
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: NW rivers. Guess you say that I live on one of them from spring to fall. Fish two or three other NW rivers.
Tri-City Area...Tittabawasee River, Saginaw River
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Saginaw Bay, Wixom Lake, Secord Lake, and a few other smaller lakes
Hunting Area: Looking for a new Bow/Gun hunting spot close to home
Ralph, MI---For gun season--about 10days
Oh yeah, and I have a 6' med action Quantum baitcasting rod and reel that I use for bass fishing, and a 7' Walleye baitcasting combo that I use from time to time.

:)

Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:14 am
Profile YIM
Outdoor Rookie

Hi Gang!
ANyone ever try those US Reels with the wide spool. I wonder how much reduced line curl that would take out.
Anyway heading out today for a local pond iceing some gills. Let me know what your experience is with those US Reels?
I have used center pin reels but its hard to quickly set the hook. I also notice the line curls were almost completely eliminated on a 4Inch ID center pin. They work well but at $400 each a bit to expensive to have for ice fishing. The off shore brands are cheaper but are also junk too!
Thanks
Da-Roc

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:41 pm
Outdoor Maniac

What Rivers do you fish?: All the east side rivers, and a couple on the west side
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: All the great lakes...
Hunting Area: Gladwin, Arenac, Bay, Iosco
For steelhead fishing i like the Zebco 202 matched up with my custom built St Croix, and for salmon i like the Zebco 404 with 60# big game line.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: j/k

I like the Okuma's for trolling for salmon and walleyes, and for my spinning reels i choose Diawa, my steelhead rods have the same Diawa's the 2500 Emblem its as smooth as a baby's behind..But not fond of the Diawa sealine models... :( :( :(

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:34 pm
Site Owner/Admin

Referred by: I own this website!
What Rivers do you fish?: All Michigan Rivers.
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Lake St. Clair - Stoney Creek - Lake Huron
Hunting Area: Gwinn, Michigan, St. Clair County, MI
Lets see if I can remember them all... :lol:

Steelhead I use Okuma open face and Gander Mountain Guide Series...

Bass rods have GS and a Daiwa...

Sturgeon are Daiwa Line Counter and Shamano...

Whippin Rods are Shamano and Daiwa Line Counter...

Ice rods are Fabril...

Ok I feel like I am missing some but that's close to all of them... 8)

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]