View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Painting Jigs 
Outdoor Addict!

O.K. so I am trying a cheaper way of making jigs. I ended up buying some jigs off cabelas for .15 and am waiting for them still. I was thinking of buying some paint for them. I have never done this. Any tips?

Also, anyone have some cool paint patterns to try?

Youtube Videos
http://www.youtube.com/stelmon21

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:31 am
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: NW Rivers, Platte, Betsie, Boardman, Big Manistee, Bear Creek, Elk, etc.
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Lake MI, Frankfort, Suttons Bay, Grand Traverse Bays(East and West) inland lakes.
Dan, are the jigs the plain lead head ones? Do you want the paint like the ones Rat Fink does? If so, then get the "powered paint" paint.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:33 pm
Outdoor Addict!

I am up for trying different paints. I was thinking about starting with that powder stuff though.

Youtube Videos

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:48 pm
Site Owner/Admin

Referred by: I own this website!
What Rivers do you fish?: All Michigan Rivers.
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Lake St. Clair - Stoney Creek - Lake Huron
Hunting Area: Gwinn, Michigan, St. Clair County, MI
Gander and Bass Pro have the powder paint and regular Jig Paint. If you paint them all white 1st the color shows up better.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outdoor Addict!

dollar store finger nailpolish.........get some porcelain touch up paint for sinks and tubes to use as a primer.....

my dad and i have been maken jiggin spoons and jigs that way for years..some times you can find it 5 or 10 for a buck....and now days theres a lot more wild colors in nail polish then there used to be

Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:18 am
Profile YIM

I second the nail polish suggestion. I've been re-painting Hot 'n Tots for a couple years now and the nail polish, followed by 2 coats of the clear holds up MUCH better than the factory paint. I usually take a stroll through the make-up/clearance isles at WalMart and Meijers when I'm in. I've picked up some really wild colors after Halloween and regular colors during the rest of the year. Most of the time, I get it for well under $1 a bottle. (The last stuff I got I think was $0.17. :D )

Very hard and wear resistant and as economical as you can find deals.

Proof: Nobody is perfect. I am nobody. Therefore I am perfect.

----------------------------

If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such.
-Homer Simpson

Daily FirePit Chat at 9pm Click here:
Firepit Chat 9PM

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:47 pm

BTW, don't be afraid to experiment with colors and patterns. Jigs are much smaller than tots, so your patterns will be limited. Some of the custom patterns on tots that I've developed have been deadly! (I'm guessing it's because the fish never see them until I troll by. ;) :D )

If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such.
-Homer Simpson

Firepit Chat 9PM

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:52 pm
Outdoor Addict!

i used to lmao watching my dad walk down the nail polish isles in stores....the way women looked at him it was unforgetable

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:04 pm
Profile YIM
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: NW Rivers, Platte, Betsie, Boardman, Big Manistee, Bear Creek, Elk, etc.
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Lake MI, Frankfort, Suttons Bay, Grand Traverse Bays(East and West) inland lakes.
go with the turned brass beads, that's what I'm going to do. no painting involved.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:16 pm

i used to lmao watching my dad walk down the nail polish isles in stores....the way women looked at him it was unforgetable

I get the same looks. I'm not a small guy either, which just makes it better. (6'7" tall and am wearing a 2XLT flannel shirt as I type this) :lol: What's even better is when I'm digging through a clearance bin with assorted make-up in it trying to find good/unusual colors. ;)

-Homer Simpson

Firepit Chat 9PM

Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:26 pm
Outdoor Rookie

I use glow jigs all the time now. But its getting expensive to buy them. I was wondering if you can cast tungston Jigs and where to get molds for it at? I quit using lead where ever possible. Where can I find good glow paint in red , orange blue and green glow paint. I tried some powder paint and could not get the hang of it. It just burnt and got nasty. I never could get it to powder up or glow just turned burnt color and fell off.
Help please! I love making jigs and stuff like that!
Thanks for all of your input!
Da-Roc
Roc Martin
Porter county Indiana

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:18 pm
Outdoor Addict!

Da-Roc, you are getting the lead too hot, it is burning the powder when you dip it, you only need 3-5 seconds of heat applied to the lead.

Stel, I just ordered 120.00 bucks worth of paint, have the powder, scribbles(yes, scribbles paint) and paint marking sticks. Have my brass beads coming(nickel in color) as well. Going to be making some really exciting jigs here soon, I'll make a few samples for ya to try out. So far this year I've spent around 300.00 dollars in tying materials, not counting paints. I'm still telling myself I'm saving loads of money this way. :D At this rate I'll have to tie around 3k jigs to break even, lol. I'm a one man wrecking crew trying to keep the economy going!!! :lol:

Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:33 pm
Outdoor Rookie

I think in the long term you'll save money. Just think of all the time looking for that jig your wanting. I hate to think how much gas money I use chasing down Jigs and such that I want to try. I never seem to get the exact jig I want either. I know $300 bucks sounds like alot but you get to make exactly what you want. It is something that is yours too! Thats about priceless when your creation catches that first fish! A few guys in my bass club make there own stuff and kill us every outting. I know they are good fisherman but hey they match what ever they want and create stuff for each lake. I think it makes a bit of a difference. Plus they get to be the proud owner of a fish catching lure that they made. How cool is that! Being able to craft a lure is just awsome I think.
So you think melting the head of the jig is getting it to hot! Humm. I did not know you just barely heat it. I thought you had to make it soft. Tell me more. Cause I am going to try every tip! I would just think it would be so cool to try your creations too!!! I am honored!
Thanks
Da-Roc

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:08 am
Outdoor Addict!

I started painting and tying jigs and already am saving money. I look at it this way, FHQ in wellstons sells jigs for .80 cents. I bought 150 jigs heads for 16 bucks. Bought paint that added up to around 50 bucks. I have painted around 120 jigs up.

Material
+50
=66

If I would have bought them from FHQ
x .80
=96

Already saved 30 bucks and still lots of paint left and jigs.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to make better designs w/ the vinlye paint or powder paint. Mine is all wacked out and I can't get a consistant pattern.

Youtube Videos

Last edited by stel on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:35 pm
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: St. Clare river, Detroit river
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: where ever the walleye are hitting the best.
hey steel photos might help with sugestons. on how to make them look better

:thumbright: :headbang:

Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]