View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Lower Peninsula Antler Point restriction proposal 
Outdoor Newbie

A group formed under the name Lower Peninsula Deer Management Initiative (LPDMI) has proposed deer hunting regulation change to the MDNR.
The proposals are in an effort to reduce the percentage of 1.5 year old bucks in Michigan's annual buck harvest. There are 2 proposals, the first covers zone 2 (NLP) in all DMUs not already under tighter regualtions, and the second is for all of zone (SLP).
The process provided by the MDNR and NRC to pursue these changes requires that any additional restriction on 1.5 year old bucks MUST protect at least 50% of the age class. In the case of the NLP, that requires all first bucks to have at least 3 pts. on on (1) antler, and in the SLP, all bucks would be required to posess at least 4 pts. on (1) antler. There are no proposed changes to the current second tag restrictions.
The LPDMI has asked for exemptions for all special youth seasons and apprentice license holders of all ages. The Mentored Youth licenses are not subject to restrictions and are good for any deer any season statewide and are protected by statute.
The formal proposal can be viewed on the LPDI website.
http://mideerhunt.org/proposals/
As part of the process the LPDMI was required to facilitate 14 public information meetings across the affected geographic area. These meetings took place during the months of June and July. A youtube video of that presentation can be viewed here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir3stD1jwX8

LPDMI

Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:39 am
Site Owner/Admin

Referred by: I own this website!
What Rivers do you fish?: All Michigan Rivers.
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Lake St. Clair - Stoney Creek - Lake Huron
Hunting Area: Gwinn, Michigan, St. Clair County, MI
I think there's good and bad with this...

The good is obviously more bucks are gonna make it to next year...BUT you have to realize there has to be FOOD and HABITAT to support Bigger Bucks.

I have 2.5 acres of Whitetail Institute Imperial Clover and always plant a late season crop in about 1.5 acres. This year it's Sugar Beets. Guess what? BOTH Button Buck Fawns from last year will be dead even with the 4 point on one side restriction! Yep both yearling bucks I can positively Identify have 4 points on one side...

The bad... You're TELLING people to HUNT YOUR WAY! By that I mean if someone can only hunt say 3 weekends a season you are telling him in the Southern Lower he can't shoot a SPike, 3-Point, Fork,5-Point, Six or Seven Pointer! So the poor guy/gal get's discouraged and quits hunting or decides to Poach and says screw your rules! Not a good thing in my book.

The 2011 Season I hunted 72 days, saw a total of 19 deer (same 6 Deer over and over) and finally December 29th I filled the Freezer with a 5 Point that was a real Trophy to me after such a hard season...YOUR rules would take that away from Me and other hunters and that was one of my most satisfying buck in years!

Whether or not APR's are approved will have no affect on my hunting at all. While I have a strong sense of what I want to shoot, I refuse to impose my beliefs on other hunters...and I resent those who want to do that.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outdoor Newbie

After hunting 72 straight days and only seeing the same 6 deer over and over again I can certainly understand why you wouldn’t consider a change. While I don’t doubt you have 2 1.5 yo 8 pts on your property, they are the minority according to MDNR check station data. A 4 pt. MAR is expected to protect >70% of the 1.5 yo buck cohort, and BTW a 7 pt would be a legal target just like they are now along with the (2) 8 pts on your food plots.
This proposal was braught to the MDNR after over a year of consideration of all of the possible options. The APRs that have been proposed were the only option available for our group to consider, wether we brought them forward or someone else, doesn’t matter, the fact is that they were going to be brought forward.
Not 1 single LPDMI member recieved a 2012 hunter survey so going into this journey none of us ever expected to have a voice in the outcome. This will be decided in part by a super majority of those hunters surveyed. If at least 66% of those hunters are in favor of TRYING this for a short 5 years, the NRC will consider the results before ultimately making their decision wether to implement them or not.
As far as the hunter that only hunts a couple days/year goes…I’m confident that being able to see more and older bucks while hunting, even if SOME of them aren’t legal YET, will be an exciting experience and keep them coming back for more, survey results support my assertions. For those that give up legal hunting in favor of poaching (stealing from fellow hunters), I would say that you have very little faith in your fellow hunters. Poachers are poachers and NO regulation changes that.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:18 am
Site Owner/Admin

I can definitely see that it might end up being a good thing. I guess even if it lowers the numbers of hunters that hunt because they get mad that they have to follow the rules then the outcome can only be Bigger (or Older as you guys say) bucks.

So I suppose I've kinda swayed towards implementing it... But I haven't got a survey about it either so I guess it's up to others to decide our Hunting Rules...

I'm not sure what area you live in but I guarantee in a lot of Farmland and Rural areas a lot of deer are shot and butchered without being tagged and it would be good to allow our DNR to upscale and do more patrols and such to help this and legal hunting...

The only reason I said it will turn a lot of hunters into poachers is because I have heard the comment "If APR's pass I gues I'll become a poacher" quite a bit lately...whether or not they are just saying that or will actually do it remains to be seen...

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outdoor Newbie

Captain Don wrote:
I can definitely see that it might end up being a good thing. I guess even if it lowers the numbers of hunters that hunt because they get mad that they have to follow the rules then the outcome can only be Bigger (or Older as you guys say) bucks.

So I suppose I've kinda swayed towards implementing it... But I haven't got a survey about it either so I guess it's up to others to decide our Hunting Rules...

I'm not sure what area you live in but I guarantee in a lot of Farmland and Rural areas a lot of deer are shot and butchered without being tagged and it would be good to allow our DNR to upscale and do more patrols and such to help this and legal hunting...

The only reason I said it will turn a lot of hunters into poachers is because I have heard the comment "If APR's pass I gues I'll become a poacher" quite a bit lately...whether or not they are just saying that or will actually do it remains to be seen...

I live in rural Eaton County (SC lower) while there MAY be SOME that don't tag, I doubt it will be more prevailent after APR then it is currently.
I guess I just run in different circles, either that or people know me well enough to know that making a statement like "if APRs are passed I'll..." and they know I don't suffer fools lightly. Either way, I don't hear comments like that in face to face interactions, it's not the same on internet chat rooms where everybody is 10' 325# with a trophy wife and a Corvette. :lol:
For the record, it is about older bucks, if it wasn't the proposal would have score minimums attached. :roll:

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:27 am
Site Owner/Admin

Well I hear it face to face and I'm willing to bet most people that bother to talk to you either want APR's or are on the fence about wanting it thus why you don't hear that end of it.

Either way hunting will either stay the same or we'll get more bucks...

I just know that I hunted in the DMU in the UP near Gwinn back when they did the first 5 year test up there...ended up pissing me right off after the 2nd year. No legal bucks and then they had NO public Doe permits! I stuck it out and continued the expensive trip up there every year and then guess what...it ended...there was 2 years of "Normal Buck Harvest and I got a 4 Point and a Spike then wham back to APR for the WHOLE UP...

Needless to say I don't hunt up there anymore.

With the farm crops in southern Michigan I am thinking it might be a better thing as long as the Bucks that aren't shot don't start getting shot by the FARMERS after a few years on block permits!

I sure wish someone would push the DNR to plant food plots and do habitat improvement on the State Land Hunting area's....THAT would do a whole lot more than APR's... and more private landowners doing Plots and Habitat work would help too...

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outdoor Newbie

Quote:
Captain Don wrote:
I sure wish someone would push the DNR to plant food plots and do habitat improvement on the State Land Hunting area's....THAT would do a whole lot more than APR's... and more private landowners doing Plots and Habitat work would help too...

Hey Capt., opportunitiies abound! :wink: http://www.mucc.org/sign-up/improve-pub ... dumcontent

The West Central Branch QDMA just planted foodplots on some state ground near Grand Rapids as well, and other SGA are getting same all over the state. Of course, there's always a lot more people that want them...than are interested in investing a day and some sweat equity. Catch my drift? :lol:

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:17 pm
Outdoor Newbie

http://www.michiganoutofdoors.com/video ... undcontent

Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]