View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 smelt 
Outdoor Addict!

i was thinkin of takin a smelt dipping trip this year just wanted to see what i would need and who would like to go they say mid april is a good time a 44 degress is prime temp would anyone like to turn this in to an outting if so let me know i would like to try this my dad loves smelt ok well just want to know if theres any intrest thanks

Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:46 pm
Profile YIM
Outdoor Addict!

id love to but where is the question.......if the water does come up i guess maybe we will see a run but its been bad for ten years around here.......last time we really did well was 1995......but its good excuse to drink some beer lol...........

Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:30 am
Profile YIM
Outdoor Addict!

im not sure really on where to go i was told some where up by alpena or something like that if we needed toi haul some people my dad has a 16 pasenger van we could posibly take with the price of gas the way it is i dont know im willing to drive any where in the lower pensula

Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:21 am
Profile YIM
Outdoor Rookie

Hi Gang!
I was wonering the same thing. Ill have a new trolley net next season. I fish for them in Indiana with a friend but he has been kinda sick this year and doesnt feel like going. We usually get a half bucket every night out so thats not to bad. Most of the smelt are staying off shore and spawning on those sand flats in 35fow. They moved out after being so pressured an the gobys eating there young eggs they changed there way of doing the spring run. I caught a bunch of smelt at croton dam pond fishing for crappie on a small gold jig. Those were 6" mature fish. I caught at leastra bucket a ay this last winter. You guys call them rainbow smelt. So they can be had by hook and rod too. Let me know where you guys might go. It woul be a fun outting before season closure for nets. Is there a regular seaon for catching them with a rod an hook?
Tight nets
Da-Roc

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:44 am
Site Owner/Admin

Referred by: I own this website!
What Rivers do you fish?: All Michigan Rivers.
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Lake St. Clair - Stoney Creek - Lake Huron
Hunting Area: Gwinn, Michigan, St. Clair County, MI
I know some folks catch them at night Ice Fishing on Higgins Lake here in Michigan...

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:53 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]