View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Raisin River, Blissfield, MI Fishing Report 6/16 
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: SE Rivers
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Ohio and Michigan coasts of Lake Erie, Maumee River in Ohio, Turtle Creek in Ohio, Raisin River in Michigan
I went fishing for the first time this year to Blissfield, MI where the Raisin River passes through town. I got there at about 8AM, a little later then I wanted. I spent some time trying to find weather radars but of course my slow internet connection was taking its dear sweet time more then usual. When I arrived it was overcast and acted like it wanted to rain but luckily it didn't. As the morning got later a little bit of blue skies got even bluer and became a partly cloudy day and warmed up into the upper 70s and almost 80.
I used light and medium action rods today using nightcrawlers and both with bobbers. The medium action rod had about 2' between crawler and bobber while the lighter set up had about 18" between crawler and bobber.
Periodically did get nibbles, but mostly not much I can do with and once after setting hooks and reeling in to find not much left on the hook or my hook completely clean. It wasn't a steady bite I'd say but pretty much every 15-30 minutes I'd start getting nibbles again.
That being said-that doesn't mean I got skunked. At around 10AM I caught my first fish of the day and a rarity for me. It was a decent sized white sucker. It came to about 9", and I only say decent sized because I'm not real familiar with how big one actually gets. Fought on the line pretty good. It stayed down for a couple minutes so I thought at first it was a catfish until it showed itself, and even then I thought I had a carp until I landed it. I'm figuring it's the first white sucker I've caught in about five years, and also the first I've caught on live bait. I've caught a couple in the Raisin in Raisinville Township, MI but on rooster tails of all things. After getting over a quick shock (seriously...my first words out loud after I landed it was "Wow, it's a sucker!") I carefully released it back into the river.
About 11AM I caught my second and only other fish of the day-a 10" channel catfish that was darker in color then what I'm used to seeing. It was almost black in color and fought pretty good given it's size. It definitely felt like a bigger fish at the end of my line. That too was promptly returned safely back into the river.
About noon I had a couple more light nibbles but after I found it to have cleaned my hook I decided to call it a day.
I'm not sure if I should really be reading anything into this but every fishing trip I've made this year except my first outing back in March I've caught at least one catfish, at least a small one if not a nice one at least 19" long. Should I just think they are all cowinkadinks, places I fish at that I know have catfish, or are they just biting better then they've been the last couple years? I am trying more then I have in the last couple years for catfish, but it's not like I'm going out of my way to try for them. It's not like I'm using chicken livers or dough balls or anything like that-just bottom fishing with nightcrawlers or sometimes minnows. What do y'all think?

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]