View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Monroe, MI Fishing Report 8/7 
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: SE Rivers
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Ohio and Michigan coasts of Lake Erie, Maumee River in Ohio, Turtle Creek in Ohio, Raisin River in Michigan
Yesterday morning I went to Sterling State Park in Monroe, MI and it really was a tail of two days.
I met up with a buddy of mine-Jeff-on one of the piers that I've been calling "Junk Fish Row" for a while because most of the catches there have been what people tend to call junk-sheephead, longnose gars, snapping turtles, and the like. Honestly, I don't know why I call it that because the other pier in the lagoon yields just as many of those fish as the other pier and the waters there are connected to Lake Erie.
Anyways, after a stop to McD's and the bait shop I met up with Jeff there and got lines in the water around 8:15AM. The biting was really slow to start. Starting off with minnows off the bottom using both my medium and heavy action poles, I also used a minnow about a foot below a bobber. Jeff was trying everything he could to get some attention. He used stink bait on one pole and an another pole tried several different spinners and other lures with no luck.
About 10AM I got my first bites that lead to me catching a sheephead on my heavy action pole. After that Jeff saw a line of storms heading in from the Ann Arbor area on his phone and started to pack up. After shooting the bull in the parking lot for a little bit he headed out and I decided that since it was the first time I had fished there at Sterling in about a year so I decided I'd stay and play things out by ear.
About 11:45AM it started to rain lightly which then progressed to a thundercrapper by noon. Once the rain picked up I got to the car to see how long it would last and wait it out. When I saw Jeff's weather report on his phone, I did see it was a fast mover and not a big line of storms. I got to thinking that maybe the biting will change if I waited out the storm.
About 12:30PM the rain was slowing down and around 1PM the rain had pretty much ended.
Around 12:45PM during the slowing down of the rain I got back to the pier and tried the same tricks I had been doing pre-rain delay. Since nothing was working I decided to bring the bobber in and try my ultralight rod straight down with waxworms and within a couple minutes I found what I was hoping to find-action! The bluegills started biting pretty decent on my ultralight and within a half hour I caught 6 bluegills. While playing with the 'gills I caught a 10" yellow bullhead on my medium action pole.
After catching the bullhead I swapped out minnows on my heavy action pole and used a small bluegill about the size of my thumb as bait. About 2PM I had a good thump on my medium action pole and had about a five second fight with a good sized_______(fill in the blank) but it got off. My wild guess was a longnose gar but I didn't see many yesterday. At least not as many as I was used to before.
About 4PM I decided to call it a day but I did have some fun. I ended up catching about 15 bluegills, keeping 7 of them, and I'm aiming to go back again before it's all said and done this year.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]