View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Sandusky, OH Fishing Report 7/28 
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: SE Rivers
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Ohio and Michigan coasts of Lake Erie, Maumee River in Ohio, Turtle Creek in Ohio, Raisin River in Michigan
Yesterday morning I met up with my buddy Ken from my Yahoo fishing group ohio_fish at Shoreline Park in Sandusky, OH. It was the first time either one of us had fished the park, and is along the shoreline of Lake Erie a couple blocks from the Jackson Street Pier where we fished about a month ago.
After being turned every which way because of road construction I ended up meeting him up there at about 7:30AM. I was hoping for sooner then that but I wasn't aware of the road construction on OH-101 but oh well. He had gotten there about 6:45AM and had all ready gotten a couple bites on green worms by the time I arrived.
I started off by trying a crawler about 15" or so inches below a bobber near the edge of the pier and a crawler off the bottom on my medium action pole. Basically my goal was to give as many different looks with nightcrawlers as I could but nothing was working. The current was moving pretty good from our left to right (moving East). In the first hour I was there I had a few decent bites but whiffed on the hooksets on the medium pole fishing off the bottom. During that time Ken was able to get a hold of a nice white bass (about 7") and a big ol' channel cat. Best guesses without measuring and such is that it was about 10-12 lbs. and a bit bigger then 2'.
Pretty much after that the biting for the two of us was slim pickings-at least for us. A couple guys set up shop on the other corner of the pier and were catching them up. It looked like they were using nightcrawlers and minnows and were catching sheephead, channel cats, and white bass. One of the sheephead looked like it was dang near as big as Ken's channel cat. At various times I tried my ultralight pole with a nightcrawler straight down and my heavy action pole with crawlers off the bottom but nothing was working.
The wind and the current started picking up quite a bit as did the cloud cover so about 11AM me and Ken moved to an inlet that had the wind blowing right to us. We had a couple bites there but around 11:45AM we moved to another inlet where the wind was at our backs and the water was a bit calmer. There Ken was able to land a couple small bluegills and I had a couple light taps but nothing to show for it.
Around 2PM we decided to bring our lines in and call it a day fishing. The place is nice and I suppose I personally would've faired better had I tried a couple lures but I can't say I was tempted too much-was just feeling lazy I guess. I do hope to get some fishing in the park more sooner then later.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]