View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Monroe, MI Fishing Report 3/11 
Outdoor Addict!

What Rivers do you fish?: SE Rivers
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Ohio and Michigan coasts of Lake Erie, Maumee River in Ohio, Turtle Creek in Ohio, Raisin River in Michigan
I went fishing today for the first time in 2012 today. Felt good to be out but wish I could say I caught some fish but unfortunately I didn't.
I went to Sterling State Park in Monroe, MI, and got there about 9:30AM. I had half a thought of buying minnows, but I didn't plan on being there much more then a couple hours so I went with just nightcrawlers. I did buy waxworms as well but didn't use them. You might be asking yourself, "Self, why didn't ol' rockinmichigan not use the waxworms if he says he didn't catch anything on nightcrawlers?" I'll answer that by saying the biting on crawlers didn't call for the use of the waxies. Besides, I'm particular with the waxworms. I really only like using them straight down off of a dock or pier, or on a boat if I happen to be on one.
Back to the fishing today, I did have a couple bites fishing off the bottom being cast out from shore about 25 yards. Unfortunately I didn't get a good enough chance to set the hook so I ended up missing out on them. Not entirely sure what was doing the biting. I'm leaning towards perhaps some bluegills or small perch perhaps. I also used a nightcrawler under a bobber but nothing there.
The thing that drives me nuts about Sterling State Park this time of year, and for those that shore fish from Sterling probably know what I'm talking about, is the fishing piers weren't connected. I'll somewhat illustrate what I mean. They have piers that come out into the water forming a T, but there's a portion of that T that is in the middle that they take out mid- to late-fall and have out until mid-spring. Drives me nuts. Not sure how the other state parks in Michigan are but I know at Maumee Bay State Park in NW Ohio they have they same T shaped pier that is set up the same way year round. I like fishing both state park T piers because I like going straight down using said waxworms and picking off the pan fish that go underneath it. Like I said above, I'm particular but yet I can adapt 8)
I ended up calling it a day about 12:30PM. It was sunny today and forecast highs in the 50s. The water was still chilly as you'd expect, and the water clarity wasn't what I would call great, but I've fished at Sterling with the same water clarity and caught a good number of fish.
On a side note, Sterling State Park was actually plan C for where I was planning on fishing today. Originally, as of a couple days ago I was considering going to Blissfield, MI, to fish the Raisin River. Word is the water isn't high like it normally is this time of year (with the lack of snow this winter and not a crazy amount of spring rains-yet) and the water flow is good enough that I can bottom fish there with nightcrawlers without my line whipping every which way. Went to get bait at a store near me and guess what-no bait. I don't know Blissfield like the back of my hand and didn't know where to get worms without spending $4 a dozen there, so I was figuring on going to Bolles Harbor in Monroe, MI, where there's a couple bait shops near the harbor/marina. Guess what? Both bait shops weren't open yet-at 9AM. Supposedly there's been some perch, and good perch caught in the boat channel there. Not wanting to complain, I move on and I did up the road to a 24-hour shop near the state park, where I finally got my worms. A wild goose chase it seemed like to get skunked, but like I said in my open it was good to get out.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Owner/Admin

Referred by: I own this website!
What Rivers do you fish?: All Michigan Rivers.
What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Lake St. Clair - Stoney Creek - Lake Huron
Hunting Area: Gwinn, Michigan, St. Clair County, MI
At least you out even if you didn't get any!

Myself I am kinda cursing this warm weather... I started making Maple Syrup this year and no nights below 32 degrees mean the Season is over...

right now it's 66 Degrees and the last of the Sap is filling the buckets FAST!

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outdoor Addict!

What Bodies of Water do you fish?: Ohio and Michigan coasts of Lake Erie, Maumee River in Ohio, Turtle Creek in Ohio, Raisin River in Michigan
Sorry about your maple syrup season Don. How much have you been able to gather?

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Owner/Admin

89 Gallons so far yielded 192 ounces of Syrup...

Today I got another 22 Gallons of Sap and it should run all night and stop sometime tomorrow.

Then we have to get a freezing night to make it run again and if the buds flower with this warm weather it's done for sure!

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outdoor Addict!

Funny and cool at the same time, this is the first site I've actually come across that has syrup gatherers, and I hang out in several outdoors forums. At least not that I've noticed. I'll have to take a look around this fine site some more and see what goes into it, and I don't even know if syrup gatherer is even the appropriate term I'm looking for 8)

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Owner/Admin

Maple Sugaring...I think! This is my 1st Year Doing it but I am hooked and will be doing it every year now!

There's only a handful of folks here...I share everything I do outdoors here. Not sure why the site hasn't gotten bigger but even if it is just me a a few folks I'm cool with that!

Thanks for checking out the site and sticking around!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outdoor Addict!

Don't worry, if you build it they will come. There will be people like me that will basically stumble in from doing a Google search. I'm actually a moderator/adminastrater/owner of a couple Yahoo fishing groups. Both are state oriented, and the Ohio one is like 3 people strong, and only me and one other guy post on there. The Michigan one is one of the most populated Yahoo fishing group from Michigan, with several that regularly post on there, whether its questions, fishing reports, tips, etc. I'm cool with both. Sure, I'd like more on the Ohio group but as long as somebody is on there I'm happy with at least that. You're more then welcome to visit both my groups and mention your site.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Owner/Admin

I'll Check it out! Any Links?

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Outdoor Addict!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michigan_fish/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ohio_fish/

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]